- You can use any apple you like. Doesn't have to be granny smith. I wouldn't pick something overly sweet.
- I used 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon even though she doesn't specify.
- Next time I will skip the Mountain Dew and instead use ginger ale. Much better choice.
- Try swapping some of the white sugar for brown.
- You must serve it with vanilla ice cream.
By: The Pioneer Woman (and probably a lot of people before her)
2 whole apples
2 8-ounce cans of crescent rolls, triangles separated
2 sticks of unsalted butter
1.5 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
6 ounces of Mountain Dew, ginger ale, Sierra Mist, etc.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9X13 pan and set aside.
Peel and core your apples. Cut them into 8 - 10 wedges. Place apple slice on the pointy end of the crescent triangle and roll it up. Tightly seal it around the wedge. Place the dumpling into the buttered dish and continue until you have used all of the crescent rolls.
Over medium-low heat melt the butter. Add the sugar and gently stir. Mix in the vanilla and remove from heat. Pour the mixture over the dumplings. Pour the soda around the edges of the pan. Sprinkle dumplings with cinnamon. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Serve warm with a scoop or two or three of vanilla ice cream.