- Definitely follow the instructions and use a combo of diced and mashed avocado. Texture perfect.
- I use the juice of one lime.
- It calls for table salt but I prefer kosher.
- Minced onion = red onion for me.
- Make a double batch if you are sharing. Trust me.
By: Cooks Illustrated
3 ripe avocados
2 tablespoons red onion, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 small jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, minced
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
juice of one lime
Mash one avocado and put into a medium bowl. Squeeze lime juice over the top and sprinkle with kosher salt. Mix to combine. Dice two remaining avocados (cut a cross-hatch pattern in the flesh and gently scoop out) and add to the bowl. Add remaining ingredients and gently stir. I like to refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes.
*Tip from Cooks Illustrated (and it works!): Cover the guacamole tightly with plastic wrap pressing directly onto the surface of the mixture to prevent browning.