- I prefer 1/2 cup brown sugar over the original recipe's 3/4 cup.
- First time I forgot the onions. It's better with them for sure.
- Definitely trim the fat.
- I used a disposable aluminum pan and set that on a cookie sheet for stability.
- Covered it tightly (two overlapping layers) with foil.
- My brisket was 2.93 lbs. I baked it for 2 hours 45 minutes covered and 30 minutes uncovered.
Easy Beef Brisket
Slightly adapted from here
3 pound beef brisket, fat trimmed
1 medium onion, sliced
12 oz jar of tomato based chili sauce (Heinz)
12 oz bottle or can of beer
1/2 cup brown sugar
Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Season all sides of the brisket with salt and pepper and layer onions on top.
Mix together the chili sauce, beer, and brown sugar. Pour over brisket. Cover tightly with 1-2 layers of foil. Put aluminum pan on a baking sheet. Bake for 2.75 - 3 hours. Remove cover and bake an additional 30 minutes. Take the brisket out of the oven and let it rest and cool slightly on a cutting board. Using an electric knife thinly slice the brisket. Gently set the brisket back into the pan and spoon sauce all over it. Put it back into the oven and heat it up about 5 minutes or so (optional).