- I used a 12 ounce can of chipotle peppers and it worked great.
- Didn't have Mexican oregano so I used basic/regular/generic/whatever just says "oregano" on the front?
- I ran out of chili powder and ended up doing half regular and half ancho. Oh yeah.
- I swear this recipe used to say 2 tablespoons of lime juice but now says juice from half a lime. I would go with half a lime.
- I topped it with my favorite Easy Blender Salsa!
- I would avoid the whole chipotle peppers when assembling your tacos. Those buggers pack a punch!
Spicy Barbacoa Soft Tacos
Recipe found here
2 pounds beef chuck roast (major fat trimmed)
12 ounce can chipotle peppers in their adobo sauce
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon Mexican oregano
8 flour tortillas
2 ears corn
1 teaspoon butter
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
juice from 1/2 lime
coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Place the beef, chipotle peppers in their adobo sauce, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder and Mexican oregano into a slow cooker. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook on low for 8 hours. Flip the meat every 2ish hours. During the last hour, take two forks and shred the meat. Put the lid back on and let it go another hour or so.
Heat grill to medium high. Smear the corn with butter and sprinkle with garlic salt. Grill until the corn has blistered on all sides, about 10 minutes. Remove from grill and cut the kernels off the cobs. Mash the two avocados in a bowl. Toss in the cilantro, lime juice, another pinch of salt and mash it up. Heat tortillas as desired.
Arrange some of the barbacoa in the center of each tortilla. Top with guacamole, salsa and grilled corn.